The content on this page is aggregated and is not affiliated with the artist.
Carl Gutherz (Jan. 28, 1844, Switzerland – Feb. 7, 1907, Washington, DC); painter, part of the Symbolist movement in the United States during the 19th century.
Came to the US with his parents in 1851. His father settled in Cincinnati and was the first to introduce terra cotta works of art into the US.
...In 1896 he did a mural for the Library of Congress, and stayed in Washington, DC for the rest of his life.
Pictorial Spectrum of Light. Carl Gutherz has painted in ceiling panels idealization of the 7 primary colors. Indigo, the Light of Science. Blue, the Light of Truth. Green, the Light of Research. Yellow, the Light of Creation. Orange, the Light of Progress. Red, the Light of Poetry. Violet, the Light of State.
Lived with his family in Memphis, TN, during the Civil War and in 1875 moved to St. Louis, MO, where he taught at Washington University and helped establish the St. Louis School and Museum of Fine Arts. After leaving Memphis, Gutherz continued to take portrait commissions from that city, and designed costumes and floats for the annual Memphis Mardi Gras. In 1906, he produced a design for an arts and sciences pavilion which was the basis for the development of Brooks Memorial Art Gallery, now the Memphis Brooks Museum of Art.
Carl K. Gutherz. His brother Fred joined the Confederate army. While Carl never served, he found work as a draftsman for a Memphis arms foundry and is reported to have smuggled contraband for Confederate troops. After the war, Carl, determined to make an art career, returned to Europe. He was in Paris from 1869-71, studying for a time at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts.... During his second tenure in Paris (1884-96) he attended the Academie Julian.