Ferdinand Hodler (1853-1919), the outstanding Swiss painter of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, created two versions of his important composition ‘The Truth,’ both of which are held in the Kunsthaus Zürich. Now the first version was restored in 2012, enabling us to rediscover this powerful yet subtle key work in Hodler's oeuvre.
...Hodler painted a second, more strongly stylized version of ‘The Truth’ in 1903 for the exhibition at the Vienna Secession in 1904. This work is owned by the City of Zurich and has been deposited with the Kunsthaus on loan since 1930. The technical execution of this second work is different from the first; it is in a better state of preservation and has been exhibited for decades.
oil on canvas